Our friends Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks of NFL.com inspired us to conduct a scouting competition. We want to see your evaluation acumen and are excited to see what you are capable of!
Contest Submission Period:
Contest submission period begins at 12:00:00 am Eastern Time (EST) on 8/9/17 and ends at 11:59:59 pm EST on 8/20/17
How to Participate:
To participate, draft a scouting report with a two-hundred and fifty (250) word minimum and five-hundred (500) word maximum, on any current NFL Runningback, Wide Receiver, Linebacker, or Defensive Lineman, after watching three (3) to five (5) of their 2016 games.
- The scouting report must include the player’s name, appearance, strengths, weaknesses, and a summary of the overall performance in the 2016 NFL season. You can find examples in our many semester showcases.
- Your scouting report should paint a picture of the selected player and answer the fundamental question; “How is the player executing on the field?”
- Your scouting report should include a minimum of 5 glossary terms from our comprehensive football glossary, which is located on InsideThePylon.com.
- Efficiency is paramount to the final product. Whether writing a scouting report for a media outlet or football team, ensuring the reader has a concise, yet detailed picture of the player is the challenge, but also a necessity.
Email the scouting report as an attachment to TheScoutingAcademy@gmail.com with the following information:
- Your name, your complete mailing address (including city, state and zip code), your age and your daytime telephone number.
- To be eligible, all Contest Entries must be received during the Contest Submission Period and no later than 11:59:59 pm EST on 8/20/17.
- Limit one (1) Entry per person and per email address for the duration of the Contest Submission Period. In case of multiple Entries from any one entrant or email address, only the first Entry received will be accepted. Modification of an existing work does not qualify as different or original. All Entries must meet the Entry Requirements set forth below.
- To be eligible, each Entry (and individual components therein) must be complete and be your original creation and solely owned by you. Incomplete Entries and/or Entries containing inaccurate information will be disqualified at The Scouting Academy’s sole discretion.
- Entries deemed by the judges, in their sole discretion, to be immoral, obscene, profane or not in keeping with The Scouting Academy’s image and values or in violation of these Official Rules will be void. In the event of non-compliance with any requirements specified herein or with any of the terms of these Official Rules, The Scouting Academy reserves the right to void such Entry.
Determination of Contest Winners:
A) Round 1 of Judging Phase: All eligible Entries received will be judged on the following criteria:
- Accuracy: does the Entry convey accurate information about selected Subject? 0-25 points;
- Passion: does the Entry reveal the entrant's passion for football and the Subject? 0-25 points;
- Presentation: does the entrant deliver his/her message with compelling expression and appeal? 0-25 points; and
- Level of detail: does the entrant provide clear and concise detail? 0-25 points
The ten (10) Entries with the highest scores, as determined by the judges, in their sole discretion, will be deemed potential "Semi-Finalists" and advance to Round 2 of Judging. Sponsor reserves the right to advance fewer than ten (10) Semi-Finalist Entries if, in their sole discretion, they do not receive a sufficient number of eligible and qualified Contest Entries. In the event of a tie, a separate tie-breaking judge or judging panel determined by Sponsor at Sponsors sole discretion will re-judge the tied entries based on the above Judging Criteria.
B) Contest Semi-Finalist Notification: Potential Finalists will be determined on or about 8/23/17 and will be notified by email.
C) Round 2 of Judging Phase: the ten (10) Semi-Finalists will be required to submit a new scouting report using the same requirements from Round 1. Semi-Finalists will be asked to evaluate any current NFL Tight End or Defensive Back. All Semi-Finalist Reports must be submitted to the email address provided no later than 11:59:59 pm EST on 8/30/17.
The five (5) Entries with the highest scores, as determined by the judges, in their sole discretion, will be deemed potential "Finalists" and advance to Round 3 of Judging. Sponsor reserves the right to advance fewer than five (5) Finalist Entries if, in their sole discretion, they do not receive a sufficient number of eligible and qualified Contest Entries. In the event of a tie, a separate tie-breaking judge or judging panel determined by Sponsor at Sponsors sole discretion will re-judge the tied entries based on the above Judging Criteria.
E) Contest Finalist Notification: Potential Finalists will be determined on or about 9/1/17 and will be notified by email.
F) Round 3 of Judging Phase: the five (5) Finalists will be required to submit a new scouting report using the same requirements from Round 1. Finalists will be asked to evaluate a Quarterback to be named by The Scouting Academy. All Finalist Reports must be submitted to the email address provided no later than 11:59:59 pm EST on 9/8/17.
Upon receipt of the Finalist Reports, a panel of judges determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion will judge each Finalist Report based on the Judging Criteria. In the event of a tie, a separate tie-breaking judge or judging panel determined by Sponsor at Sponsors sole discretion will re-judge the tied entries based on the above Judging Criteria.
Grand Prize Winner Determination: On 9/11/17, the three (3) highest ranked Finalist Entries will be declared the Grand Prize winners, subject to verification of eligibility and compliance with these Official Rules.
Prizes: Three (3) Grand Prizes will be awarded. All prize details will be determined by Sponsor in its discretion. All prizes are awarded "as is' without any warranty or guarantee, either expressed or implied by Sponsor. Costs and expenses associated with the acceptance and use of a prize not specified herein as being awarded, including, but not limited to, all federal, state and local taxes, are winner's sole responsibility. Total ARV of all prizes = $1,060.
1) First Prize: The First Prize winner will receive free tuition to the Fall semester of The Scouting Academy. Approximate Retail Value ("ARV") = $950.
2) Second Prize: The Second Prize winner will receive a Scouting Academy polo and hat. Approximate Retail Value ("ARV") = $75.
3) Third Prize: The Third Prize winner will receive their selection of book from a predetermined list from our Book/Resource List. Approximate Retail Value ("ARV") = $35.
Here is the legalese
No Purchase Necessary to Participate Or Win. Purchasing Will Not Increase Your Odds of Winning.
1) Eligibility: The Scouting Academy Scouting Competition (hereafter the "Contest") is open to legal permanent residents of the fifty (50) United States and District of Columbia, eighteen (18) years of age or older as of entry date. Void where prohibited by law. All applicable federal, state and local laws apply. By submitting an Entry, entrant hereby grants The Scouting Academy, without any limitation of any other rights granted herein, permission for the Entry to be posted on websites and/or featured on The Scouting Academy, with their sole discretion. Entrant agrees that Released Parties are not responsible for any unauthorized use of Entries by third parties. Released Parties do not guarantee the posting/airing of any Entry and may remove a posted/aired Entry at any time.
By entering the Contest, each entrant warrants and represents that his/her Entry is original, has not been previously published or won any awards, does not contain any material that would defame or otherwise violate or infringe upon the rights of any third party, including patents, copyrights, trademarks or rights of privacy or publicity, and will not violate any federal, state or local laws or ordinances. Entrants further warrant and represent that they have secured the requisite consent from any third party referenced in their Entries.
By submitting an Entry, entrant acknowledges and agrees that Sponsor may obtain many submissions under this Contest and that such Entries may be similar or identical in theme, idea, format or other respects to others submitted under this Contest and/or other promotions staged and/or sponsored by the Sponsor, or to other ideas conceived by or provided to Sponsor and entrant waive any and all claims entrant may have had, may have, and/or may have in the future, that any Entry and/or other works accepted, reviewed and/or used by the Sponsor (or its designees) may be similar to his/her Entry. Except where prohibited by law, each entrant acknowledges and agrees that the Sponsor does not have now, nor shall it have in the future, any duty or liability, direct or indirect, vicarious, contributory, or otherwise, with respect to the infringement or protection of any copyright in and to the Entry or any other right related thereto.
2) Miscellaneous: No transfer, assignment, cash redemption, or substitution of a prize (or portion thereof) is permitted except by Sponsor who reserves the right to substitute a prize (or applicable portion thereof) with one of comparable or greater value, at its sole discretion, except as otherwise provided herein. By participating, entrants agree to abide by these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor and judges, which shall be final and binding. Entrants agree, by entering, that 1) Sponsor and its designees may use (unless prohibited by law), entrants name, city and state of residence, Entry (and all material embodied therein), any written content, photographs, any recordings (voice, video or film) and/or other likeness for advertising, trade and/or any other purposes in any media now or hereafter known throughout the world, in perpetuity, without further compensation, permission or notification, and 2) the Released Parties shall have no liability and will be held harmless by entrant for any claim, action, liability, loss, injury or damages of any kind, including death, to persons, or property due in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, by reason of the acceptance, possession, use or misuse of a prize, participation in this Contest, or use of any Entry or Finalist Entry. Entrants warrant and represent that (1) Sponsor and its designees shall own the Entry (and all elements embodied therein); (2) that by entering, the entrant irrevocably assigns to Sponsor and its designees any and all rights, title and interest in the Entry and/or Finalist Entry including, but not limited to, all intellectual property rights; and (3) that Sponsor and its designees shall have, without limitation, the perpetual worldwide right to edit, adapt, modify, publish, reproduce, exploit and use the Entry and/or Finalist Entry in any way and in any media for trade, advertising, promotional and/or other purposes as Sponsor and/or its designees may determine without further consideration, notification or permission of entrants. Entrants understand and acknowledge that: i) Sponsor and Released Parties have wide access to ideas, stories, designs, and other literary materials, and new ideas are constantly being submitted to them or being developed by their own employees; ii) many ideas or stories may be competitive with, similar to, or identical to content in the Entry and/or each other in theme, idea or other respects; iii) entrants will not be entitled to any compensation as a result of use of any such similar or identical material that has or may come to Sponsor or Released Parties, from other sources. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to modify, suspend, and/or terminate this Contest (or portion thereof) for any reason, including but not limited to, should virus, worms, bugs, non-authorized human intervention or other causes, including, but not limited to, acts or threats of terrorism, war, strikes, and/or acts of God, corrupt or impair the administration, security, fairness or proper play of the Contest and, in the case of termination, at its discretion, select winners from all eligible non-suspect Contest entries received prior to the event requiring such termination using the judging procedure outlined above. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, THE SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK ANY AND ALL REMEDIES AVAILABLE FROM ANY SUCH PERSON(S) FOR THE ATTEMPT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
3) Arbitration: Except where prohibited by law, as a condition of participating in this Contest, entrant agrees that (1) any and all disputes and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest, or any prizes awarded, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by final and binding arbitration under the rules of the American Arbitration Association and held at the AAA regional office nearest the entrant; (2) the Federal Arbitration Act shall govern the interpretation, enforcement and all proceedings at such arbitration; and (3) judgment upon such arbitration award may be entered in any court having jurisdiction. Under no circumstances will participant be permitted to obtain awards for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim, punitive, incidental or consequential damages, or any other damages, including attorneys' fees, other than participant's actual out-of-pocket expenses (i.e., costs associated with participating in this Contest), and participant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.
4) Choice of Law: All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of participant and Sponsor in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the substantive laws of the State of New York, USA.
5) Winners List: For the names of the winners, send a self-addressed stamped envelope to be received by 10/9/17 to: Scouting Competition Winners, 107 Ford Ave, Troy, NY 12180.
6) Sponsor: The Scouting Academy